Sunday, July 03, 2005

 

The Free Factor

Had been to a shop with my friend. While he was busy paying for the purchases at the cash counter I was looking around and happened to notice this book titled 'City Information'. The book contained some info about Bangalore, about places to see, hotels, a map etc. To remark that the information in the book was basic or minimal would be an understatement. I have a book for each of the above mentioned categories , hotels, maps etc at home. I would never have thought of picking up this book, until the salesperson in the shop uttered the magic words 'It is free'. Immediately I picked up not just one but two copies of this book. No thinking involved, just pure reflex action when I heard the word 'free'.

Each and every working day of the week, sharp at 5:45 PM I get these uncontrollable 'hunger pangs'. The desire to eat at this time has absolutely no correlation with however much or however little I had for lunch. Nothing can stop me from having the snacks served in the canteen, not even if the snacks was 'Akki Roti', something that I really do not enjoy eating. Uhmm..so what really is the mysterious force that causes the hunger pangs and propels me to the canteen? No prizes for guessing, its the magic word 'free' again. I wonder if I ever was mentally conditioned to believe that 'Free snacks' is meant to be devoured even if its a oil slick like Poori or Channa Batura.

I am trying (and I trying really hard) to recollect the last time that I actually witnessed the muhurtham of a marriage or the pooja of house warming ceremony or the main event of any ceremony or a function. However, I was present at every marriage or ceremony on time to have lunch or dinner. I can always come up with excuses, I was busy at work, tight deadlines etc etc. But despite all these odds I somehow managed to make it for the food. Strangely, I have convinced myself that this kind of behaviour is perfectly acceptable.

Though there could be 'n' number of people exhibiting the same traits I shall steer clear of any controversy by not generalizing this behaviour as being omnipresent in our society. I sometimes ponder over it but I eventually do nothing to change this lure of the 'free factor'.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?